Despite various weather web sites' predictions of "70% chance of precipitation",
Sunday October 7th dawned sunny and 50°F. Employees started arriving at 6:00am to get set-up,
and already the line of detailed BMWs and MINIs was shining and reflecting in the dawn light.
The waiting line extended around the corner, down Constitution Ave. By the time parking began
at 7:30am, there were BMWs and MINIs lined up over a half-mile in both directions. The BavAuto
lot was filled and neatly parked with more than 300 BMWs and MINIs by 9:45am. Overflow parking
extended east and west on Constitution Avenue, from end to end and into neighboring lots.
With over 1,200 enthusiasts in attendance, all went smoothly and everyone had a great time. Many
people had their first in-person look at some rare BMWs, including an original 3.0CS Alpina, a
BMW 700 cabriolet, a few Baur convertible conversions, early Euro-market models, BMW race cars
and so much more! The lunchtime BBQ went smoothly and amazingly fast, serving hundreds of
hamburgers, hotdogs and bratwurst (and all the fixins') in less than one hour. Some beverages
from our neighbors at Smuttynose completed the meal. The "You Dan Do It!" DIY demonstrations covered under-the-hood
maintenance procedures that included a vacuum-method oil change, power steering fluid and filter
change, air filter maintenance, the install of an AFE cold-air intake kit, cabin air microfilter
replacement and vent cleaning, and changing spark plugs and coils.
In the vendor tent we had representatives from Covercraft, Bentley Publishers, Beyern Wheels,
Hella, Sachs, UUC Motorwerks, Kelleners Sport, aFe Power, Mann & Hummel, Liqui Moly, DForce
Wheels, ISC Suspension, Cool Carbon and Bilstein, while under separate cover, the folks from
P21S gave hands-on detailing demos and graphic artist Chris Holewski signed copies of his
Show & Shine 2012 poster.
In the free raffle, we gave away more than $5,000 worth of BMW and MINI gear, and more than
$10,000 in prizes in our charity raffle. Here's a list of the Komen raffle winners:
- Set of Hakkapelliita winter tires -- Chris Duer
- Infinity BassLink subwoofer kit -- Wayne Gayle
- Dice Media Bridge & Cradle -- Andrew Burger
- aFe cold air intake kit -- Tom Frigge
- Racing Dynamics stress bar -- Tom Kiley
- Bavarian Autosport camber kits -- Micha Fin
- Sprint Booster -- not yet redeemed
- Curt trailer hitch -- Gary Pyle
- Front & rear Cool Carbon brake pads -- Douglas Bolte
- Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer -- Duane Sword
- UUC short shift kit, DSSR and tranny mounts -- Todd Charles
- Bavarian Autosport pre-painted rear wing -- Charles Smith
- Burger Motorsports "Juice Box" -- James Cutts III
- Bavarian Autosport performance brake kit -- Gregory Todisco
- Bavarian Autosport invisible paint shield -- Nicholas Turner
- $250 Bavarian Autosport savings certificate from Pagid -- Marsha Friday
- Custom-fit seat covers -- Ann Charlemagne
- Pitstop Grand Prix office chair -- Carl Ferré
- Remus sport exhaust -- not yet redeemed
- $500 Bavarian Autosport savings certificate from Ira BMW -- Rocky Rhoads
- Grand Prize worth over $3,500 -- Leah McFarland
And while the final fundraising tally is not in yet, we expect to be able to forward more
than $8,000 to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure in support of their fight against breast cancer.
A huge Bavarian thank you to all our vendors who donated prizes and all the folks who purchased
raffle tickets, Show & Shine t-shirts, glasses and posters, and the hundreds of people who
made small cash donations for the free coffee, donuts, BBQ and beer.